The objectives of the Single Spine Pay are to:
- Attract and retain critical skills in the public service;
- Place all public service employees on one structure;
- Ensure that jobs within the same job value range are paid within the same pay range;
- Allow government the ability to manage the public service wage bill more efficiently;
- Ensure compliance and ease of monitoring the pay structures of self-accounting institutions;
- Minimize industrial relations conflicts related to pay in the public service;
- Link public service pay to productivity.